- Take food to work or school in a reusable container
- Use plastic or paper grocery bags to line trash cans
- Use glass containers for storage
- Keep old paper for taking phone messages
- Hold a garage sale
- Donate old clothing or furniture to a thrift shop.
Be a Smart Shopper:
- Avoid buying disposable products when possible
- Buy only what you need and use it up
- Buy larger sizes or use concentrates
- Avoid products with excess packaging
For additional tips, see the Environmental Protection Agency’s Consumer’s Handbook for Reducing Solid Waste.